OMG! ThePhillies just won the 2008 World Series! First World Series Championship since 1980! First in my lifetime (I was born in ’81)! *squealsquealsqueal*
OK, since I can barely think straight and I’m all ADD because, uh, THEY FINALLY FREAKIN’ WON (by a score of 4-3, by the way), let’s do bullet points…
* Cole Hamels was the World Series MVP! He got a Chevy Camaro for his efforts. Care to give a cute little blogger a ride, Cole?
* Brad Lidge stayed perfect this year–another save!
* Speaking of pitchers, Grant Balfour is really freakin’ hot. Now that we beat them, the Rays are not The Enemy anymore. (Now they’re The Losers. Ha! But Balfour’s a hot loser. Purr.)
* Let’s totally buy stuff to celebrate the World Series Championship! Click here for fun stuff from MLB.com, and click here to buy one of those crazy “Why Can’t Us?” shirts!
* Baby Chase and Baby Cole have arrived! Nice names, don’tcha think?
* I LOVE our Phillies! I love Cole Hamels for being the hotness, Chase Utley for his defensive skills, Jayson Werth because his hair is hot, Greg Dobbs for being the best pinch-hitter in the Majors, Ryan Howard for his cheesy Subway commercial that I sat through 9 million times during WS commercial breaks, Jimmy Rollins for knowing we were the team to beat this year, the Matt Stairs/Joe Blanton/Eric Bruntlett trifecta for hitting Most Unexpected Home Runs Ever, Brett Myers for his bat, Pat Burrell for having the best hair (and a key double tonight!) that left field has ever seen, Jamie Moyer for not playing like he’s an old man, the Flyin’ Hawaiian for being freakin’ awesome, Pedro Feliz for his defensive skills, Ryan Madson/JC Romero/Scott Eyre for kickin’ butt and takin’ names, Brad Lidge for literally being perfect, Pedro Feliz for his glove, Ruiz for his defensive skills, and if I forgot a Phillie or two here, well, I love them too.
* Other things I love: the Mets’ bullpen, the Rays’ defensive skills.
* By the way, I was totally wearing my lucky (filthy) socks and lucky (red lacy) undies tonight. The Red Panty Brigade strikes again (and tonight–celebrates!).
It’s been a hell of a year for these Phillies, and it’s been a hell of a year for me personally when it comes to baseball. This year I watched the team I’ve loved all my life win their first championship since I was alive, coined the term BILF, ran my first fantasy baseball team (and did way better than I thought I would), I’ve braved Mets/Phils games at Shea all by myself and have lived to tell the tale, I got to meet Cole/Greggie/Geoff/Jayson/Jamie/Shane at ALS Night this year, I’ve learned stuff about the actual game of baseball and learned lots of cool stuff about box scores, I’ve discovered the American League (which I’d ignored before…but who can ignore BILFs like Josh Hamilton, Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, and Grant Balfour?), and started this fun little baseball blog. By the way, I’m not going anywhere over the off-season. I’ll be right here with trade rumors, BILFtastic pictures of our favorite hot baseball players, and more! I have a lot of fun features in the works for this site…so don’t you go anywhere, ’cause I’m sure as hell not goin’ anywhere! 🙂
* And on a final note, I want to mention that my totally awesome parents were at the game tonight, and while I’m insanely jealous of them, I’m SO glad they were there. They’ve been partial season ticket holders for, like, ever, and they’re suffered plenty of misery at the hands of our boys in red and white. They so deserved to see this historic win. One of the best things about this baseball season is that it brought me and my folks a little closer together. There’s no better person to call than my mother when the Phillies have won and I want to squeal, or Hamels has just looked really hot throwing a pitch and I wanna shriek about it. We’re over a hundred miles away from one another and I don’t get to see my parents as often as I’d like to (and good lord, this last month has made me so freakin’ homesick), but a shared love for the Phillies helped keep us talking even when we all had very busy lives. They brought me up a Phillies fan, and it’s one of the best things they could have ever done for me. I love you, Mom and Dad!
For now, I’m gonna go keep grinnin’ and shriekin’…and I’ll be back soon with more BILFtastic musings. Yay, Phillies!